Sunday, September 21, 2008

Well I didn't break 29 minutes yesterday morning during the 5k. My time was around 30:30 which is thirty seconds faster than my last 5k time. I got a horrible stitch only half a mile into the race and my legs were really tired. I think I have been training too hard lately because my past three runs have been really hard and I have taken a long time to get warmed up. My plan was to run for an hour and 20 minutes today, but I think I'm going to take an extra rest day instead. I'm not too disappointed though.

On a happier note, I'm stuffed! We just had a big family meal and that always means delicious Sri Lankan food, almost all of which is vegan. I don't really have specific recipes for these dishes, but "feel" cooking is more fun anyway. I can provide more specific recipes if desired.

This is a non traditional Sri Lankan dish that is just zucchini cut into matchsticks and stir fried in a hot wok with peanut oil. Once it starts to soften, salt and Sri Lankan chili powder (spicy!) is sprinkled on top.
This is my favorite potato dish. It is cubed potatoes stirfried with tumeric, onions, ginger, and lots of garlic until the potatoes that are almost cooked and then the dish is baked until the potatoes are all the way cooked and then it is topped cilantro.

This is dahl. It is mostly just lentils and onions and spices. also topped with cilantro.

This is basmati rice that has been fried with nuts (mostly cashews) and whole spices. There was also regular white, steamed rice.
Now for the condiments:
This is raw red onions with chopped green chiles covered with lime juice and salt. The onions get nice and softened from the salt and lime, no cooking required.
This is seeni sambal. It requires a many many onions to be chopped (always delegated to my grandfather, lucky guy). It is just onions that are stir fried with lots of spices. Traditionally it contains fish powder but this version is 100% fish free and better for it.
Mango chutney...'nuff said.
Now it is time for me to lapse into a food coma

No comments: